Adventures with coffee, around the globe..
Since Halloween is here it would be great to have a post from one of the eeriest churches around the world ; the ossuary (a place to store bone) situated at Sedlec, a small village near Kutná Hora , Czech Republic.
In 1278,an abbot sent to Golgotha, the place where Jesus was crucified, got some of the soil from that place and sprinkled it over the abbey cemetery. In the mid 14th century, during the Black Death, and after the Hussite Wars (Bohemian religious wars) in the early 15th century, many thousands were buried in the abbey cemetery.Later on there was no more place for new graves,the bones were dug up and made into an ossuary cum church.It currently houses roughly between 40,000-70,000 human skeletons some of which have been made into artistic chandeliers and pieces of art and is rated as one of the most eerie places of worship in the world.
- Human Bones being stacked up and stored
- The entrance to the Roman Catholic Church
- Spines been given an artistic shape by the ancient monks
- A Cross being made with bones
- A bone chandelier that is the ‘cherry of the cake’
- A few more ‘artistic imaginations’ of the ancient monks
- And finally Jesus Christ himself at the end of the parade. Also an image of bones lines with coins, proof enough that u are born empty handed and you die empty handed.
And Finally Happy Halloween !!
Research & Images : Marcus Sam
For any info contact : firstname.lastname@example.org